About Me

My photo
New York, New York
What happened to Please and Thank you? Can we blame children and teenagers for their behavior or do we blame the parents? I created this blog to have some open and honest conversations about manners and civility. I am fortunate to have a career that allows me interactions with all types of people and I happen to live in the best city in the world! So follow my blog and see what I experience, and learn some of the important life skills I teach my students young and old. To find out more about me visit my site at www.swannoir.net

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"I'm Sorry.... No, No, really I am"

Does an apology really mean anything if you are a repeat offender?

I have, as well as the rest of the decent people in America, been appalled by some of the recent behavior from West, Williams, and Wilson. But, those are just the few in the spotlight. Have we become a nation of boors that will disrespect, degrade, and downplay anyone for 15 minutes of fame and a spot on a reality show?
OK, so we are not going to solve the world's problems in a blog, but I think we have to rewind for a second and reinforce to young people what is important. When you make a blunder, gaffe, faux pas, mistake, whatever you want to call it, you must apologize immediately. Oops, I didn't mean it, My Bad, and Aww Man, are not acceptable. "I am Sorry" and "I Apologize" are the only two phrases that apply, as soon as humanly possible.
An email, tweet, text or voicemail will not cut it. Open your mouth and apologize, if you live too far away to apologize in person, a phone call will suffice.
I do not think anyone was impressed by some of the recent bad behavior by a select few recently. I believe that is a good sign, but we must get across to our young people that may look up to these individuals, that their behavior is not to be repeated.
When you apologize, mean it, make it sincere, and don't make it a habit. Otherwise its just two words and seven letters.

"I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Learn your lesson and don't say it unless you really mean it. I was always told that sorry means never having to say it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.....Not for nothing...I did believe Kanye apology was real, I am not his biggest fan but maybe the reaction to his behaviour forced him to self reflect....
    But you are right, humans make error all the time BUT when we do we just want to dismiss it and we don't think how our accidental(giving benefit of doubt :) actions affected others and just genuinely say "I am sorry"

    ReplyDelete