About Me

My photo
New York, New York
What happened to Please and Thank you? Can we blame children and teenagers for their behavior or do we blame the parents? I created this blog to have some open and honest conversations about manners and civility. I am fortunate to have a career that allows me interactions with all types of people and I happen to live in the best city in the world! So follow my blog and see what I experience, and learn some of the important life skills I teach my students young and old. To find out more about me visit my site at www.swannoir.net

Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Aftermath- Where is the self-esteem?

First, I would like to say that the following is just my personal opinion. I have never met Chris Brown or Rhianna(Robin Fenty).
I cannot comment on what happened the night of the alleged pummeling of Pop Icon Rhianna's face. I cannot comment on the choice they have made to "work" on their relationship. I can say that I really do not care about their personal decisions whether to be a couple or not.
So, what do I want to talk about? Where is the self-esteem? What happened to just walking away? Our girls need to know that love does not equal abuse, and it never will.
Unfortunately, these two entertainers were looked up to, and that is another one of my issues. Why are these ,or should I say certain celebrities, so idolized? So, if it is ok for this "star" to allegedly hit his girlfriend and she is not pressing charges and working on the relationship, then it is ok for ME. No, it is not. Where are YOUR family values and morals?
Let's get back to the OLD school, when parents parented their girls and boys. We didn't allow celebrities and athletes to raise our children. No MORE passive parenting.
Communicate with your teens and tell them how despicable some of the behavior is we see from these teen "idols". When these teens and some adults make the headlines, make that the time when you sit your children down and say "NO way, this will not be you." Explain why, and what you expect from them. Repetition and Consistency is the best way to teach children. Be the best parent you can be now, plant those seeds and the reward will be bittersweet.
Bon Chance!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the point that Parents should use this opportunity to have that talk with their teens. Let them know, regardless of how the authorities react, that what he did was WRONG and she is WRONG to go back to him. Let them know that is not healthy.....However we also have to realize that not every child have a home with Parents who are capable of doing that. There are parents who are not mentally old enough to be parents and lack the common sense to have this conversation. This is where the Media and other public figures should step up to the plate and fill in as role models for kids. I admire the fact that people like Tina Turner are saying that what she did was unhealthy.....Personally I think the same organization that forced the music industry to label CDs when violent and sexual explicit lyrics are included should push for his music to be banned. By publicly apologizing through a statement, he admits that he abused her, a slap on his wrist will not undo the damage he has caused to young minds...Both of them should not be allowed to make money from a public life anymore..whether its right or not, they are role models and right now they are both exhibiting negative role model behaviour...so they should depart from the public eye...but then again I am harsh....:)

    ReplyDelete