About Me

My photo
New York, New York
What happened to Please and Thank you? Can we blame children and teenagers for their behavior or do we blame the parents? I created this blog to have some open and honest conversations about manners and civility. I am fortunate to have a career that allows me interactions with all types of people and I happen to live in the best city in the world! So follow my blog and see what I experience, and learn some of the important life skills I teach my students young and old. To find out more about me visit my site at www.swannoir.net

Monday, March 16, 2009

Bully Rehab

According to the CDC 160,000 kids stay home from school each day because of the bullies in their school. Children and teens are teased and physically abused daily by bullies, and most wind up transferring to another school because they just can't take it.
Here is a great story that I watched on ABC Nightly News this past Sunday about what one principal has done about the bullying in his school.
He sent a survey to all the students and asked for the names of all the bullies in the school. When he received the names, he gathered all the "bullies" together in a classroom, not to punish them,but to find out why they were bullying?
This group of bullies usually have problems at home, problem with forming relationships, they are lashing out at other children because there is something wrong in their world. He even puts them on a reward system and monitors their bullying behavior. Well, guess what? It worked, there is now less bullying and disruptive behavior at that particular school.
The teens that left the middle school have returned and even the bullies are doing better.
What a tremendous effort by that principal. Wish I had his name..........

No comments:

Post a Comment