About Me

My photo
New York, New York
What happened to Please and Thank you? Can we blame children and teenagers for their behavior or do we blame the parents? I created this blog to have some open and honest conversations about manners and civility. I am fortunate to have a career that allows me interactions with all types of people and I happen to live in the best city in the world! So follow my blog and see what I experience, and learn some of the important life skills I teach my students young and old. To find out more about me visit my site at www.swannoir.net

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

People Skills

The Job Chase- Many of us have heard that term over the past few months, and If I was a gambler I would bet that we all know someone, or of someone, who has been laid off recently.

Yes, these are tough times. So, how are you going to stand out amongst the thousands of people searching and interviewing for jobs daily. What is going to give you that competitive edge? I can tell you exactly what. Your "people" skills. People skills or Soft Skills are what make up your personality, that warm smiling face, your ability to hold a conversation or engage in small talk, and your genuine grace and charm. That is about 85 percent of what interviewers, recruiters, headhunters, managers, CEO's, Principals, etc. are looking for. I know we are not all perfect little angels, happy about everything all the time, so don't come across phony or plastic. Be yourself!

About 15 percent of the "package" represent your technical skills. Your higher degree, your certificates, accomplishments, etc. Do not take this the wrong way. I do believe your MBA matters, trust me, I know you payed a pretty penny for it! The bottom line is you could have all the credentials needed for the job, but if you have a horrible personality or the personality of a tree trunk then... I think you know what I am getting at.

In this very difficult time we are all going through right now please watch your manners, your please and thank yous, and your smile! They are watching.

Advice: The next Job Fair that you go to let your personality truly shine. Smile, make eye contact, give a firm handshake, and practice small talk with a recruiter. Then go right in and sell yourself, get that JOB..
Remember, soft skills first and then use that technical brain of yours!


Bon Chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment