About Me

My photo
New York, New York
What happened to Please and Thank you? Can we blame children and teenagers for their behavior or do we blame the parents? I created this blog to have some open and honest conversations about manners and civility. I am fortunate to have a career that allows me interactions with all types of people and I happen to live in the best city in the world! So follow my blog and see what I experience, and learn some of the important life skills I teach my students young and old. To find out more about me visit my site at www.swannoir.net

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Email Etiquette

To all my corporate geniuses I want you to pay careful attention to the following. I want you to read this post and commit it to memory the next time you are writing an email at work. There should be a course alone on email etiquette, and If someone is reading this and is interested please contact me as soon as possible. Yes, that was meant to sound "stern", I hope it worked.
Here are a few tips when writing your next email at work, and some of these tips can be applied to your social emails as well:

The first thing on the list which I feel is the most important is Tone. Ever heard, "It's all in the way you say it." Well, in this case, its all in the way you write it. The tone of your email should be professional, yet friendly. Avoid sounding arrogant, and bossy. For instance, I am changing careers, which many of us are doing at this very moment in this volatile economy. I am going to send an email to co-workers letting them know what my new contact information is and where my new career path will be taking me. I want to keep it short and simple, yet professional and friendly. Try this: To My Co-Workers at ABC Bank, In the next few weeks, I will be leaving ABC Bank to start my own business. I have had many great experiences with all of you and will cherish the relationships built here. Please keep in touch and you can follow my new career on my new blog. Find my new contact information below. All the best to each and everyone. Best Regards, Susie Teller.
Susie's attitude comes across as gracious and her tone is friendly. Stay away from a "dictator tone" Something like this: I will be leaving ABC Bank, make sure you have my new information. See below.
There was no greeting, the tone was bossy and definitely arrogant, and no salutation. If you are not sure that you come off this way, send your email to a friend to edit. Preferably someone who really knows you and can give you constructive criticism. Your tone is like your invisible body language, you are instantly judged by others, so watch it. And yes, watch it was meant to sound like your Mother said it to you, with that side eye.

The next tip is the use of CAPS. PLEASE DO NOT SEND AN EMAIL IN ALL CAPS. When you use all uppercase letters it is considered cyber shouting. I know that what you have to say is important, and you may need a response immediately. If you shout at me, how quickly or efficiently will I do what you need me to do? The same applies to email, it is rude and not necessary. Even if you have a wonderful announcement about a new employee that is doing a great job, consider italics or color. This usually works for me: Dear Peter, I hope that you are having a pleasant morning, at least a lot more pleasant than mine. I am in need of the ABC financial report *immediately* If you need some assistance please let me know and I can send Charles over to your office this afternoon. Thank you for your dedication to ABC Bank. Sincerely, Bob Banker. I can sense Bob's need for that report and I will now do my best to get the job done, and he even offered assistance. I would much rather put my time and energy into working for Bob, then a boss or co-worker who has just CYBER SHOUTED to me, wouldn't you?

Next tip, mind your Greetings and Sign-offs. Remember to say hello, how is your day going?, how is your ill sister? Make a brief connection, especially with people you are really not that familiar with. You don't have to tell me your family's history or how Aunt May is really hating the new nursing home. A few words of kindness, goes a long way. When ending an email, watch your sign-off. "Best" is lazy, two more words are not going to hurt. All the Best, Best Regards, Best to you, Wish you the Best, Have a great day, Keep up the great work, Nice seeing you. Practice good greetings and sign-offs in your email, always be gracious even if it hurts.

Respect people's time, less is more. If you just want to know what time you are meeting the group for lunch, write it in the subject line and end it with (EOM). EOM is an acronym for "end of message". The recipient won't have to open the email, and his/her time is respected. I would only use this with others that know the meaning. Discuss it with your friends over lunch and adapt it in your office, as a way to be considerate and thoughtful of your co-workers. This is a great tip for the millions of Blackberry users.
Example: Tasha, please meet me in the park for lunch at 1pm. (EOM)

I could continue, there is so much to say when it comes to email etiquette. I know that people do a lot more "skimming" these days, so I will stop here. Etiquette is about making others feel comfortable. Practice these tips and remember to proof-read and send it to a friend if you aren't sure about your tone. Bon Chance! Feel free to contact me at stephanie@swannoir.net if you have further questions or concerns.

1 comment:

  1. This is something that many people need to take heed to, thank you for bringing it to the forefront.

    Many people lack the necessary social skills when it comes to writing. Another note to bring up is Spell Check. It bothers me when I get an email or anything else that is written on a computer and spell check is not used.

    ReplyDelete